Car Accident Statistics
In the United States, car accidents are the leading cause of death for individuals between the ages of 2 and 34, and they are one of the most common causes of personal injury for all ages. Even cautious drivers can be involved in unexpected situations that have the potential to injure or kill. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that approximately 6 million auto accidents occur each year in the United States, and although not all end in injury or death, a great number of them do.
Car Accident Injury Statistics
According to the NHTSA, approximately 2.6 million passenger vehicle occupants are injured each year in traffic accidents, accounting for 95 percent of all injury-causing accidents on the roads. Of these injury accidents:
- 10 percent of those injured were in an SUV, as compared with 7 percent for pickup trucks, 4 percent for vans, and 3 percent for cars.
Car Accident Fatality Statistics
The NHTSA reports that in 2006, there were 30,521 fatalities of occupants of passenger cars, accounting for 83 percent of all vehicle accident fatalities. Of these passenger car occupant fatalities:
- 55 percent of those killed were unrestrained
- 28 percent were cause by ejection from the vehicle
- 35 percent were in an SUV, compared with 28 percent for pickup trucks, and 17 percent for passenger cars
Contributing Factors in Auto Accidents
Two of the main factors that increase the risk of causing an auto accident are alcohol consumption and speeding.
- Alcohol: The NHTSA estimates that alcohol was involved in 41 percent of all fatal crashes, and in 9 percent of injury causing crashes in 2006. In the same year, there were 17,602 fatalities in alcohol-related accidents, which represents about one every 30 minutes.
- Speeding: Speeding is one of the main contributing factors to all auto accidents, and was found by the NHTSA to be a factor in 31 percent of all fatal crashes.
Contact an Auto Accident Attorney near You
If you or someone you love has been injured in an auto accident due to someone else’s negligence, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney to help you obtain compensation. Use LawyerShop’s online directory of attorneys to find a lawyer near you who is experienced in handling auto accident cases.