Workplace Injury Statutes of Limitations

In personal injury law, the statute of limitations refers to the period ranging from when a workplace injury occurs (often referred to as the "date of harm") or when such an injury is discovered (the "date of discovery"), to the last day on which a workplace injury case may be filed. A person who has been injured by a workplace accident and is planning on filing suit must make every effort to do so before the statute of limitations passes. Should the statute of limitations expire before a suit has been filed, the defendant can have the case dismissed due to its being filed in an untimely fashion. However, the responsibility to make the court aware of a statute of limitations violation lies with the defendant; the court will not automatically dismiss a workplace injury case filed after the expiry date.

When must a workplace injury case be filed?

The statute of limitations in a workplace injury case may vary, depending on the type of accident, the nature of the injury, and the unique laws surrounding personal injury cases in the state in which the injury occurred. The timeframe for filing a workplace injury lawsuit can range from as short as 30 days to as long as 6 years. Because the statute of limitations in workplace injury cases vary so widely, if you have been involved in a workplace accident, it is in your best interest to contact a skilled workplace injury lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can help you file a workplace injury claim and obtain compensation for medical bills, loss of wages, and other losses. 

Locate a Workplace Injury Attorney near You

If you or someone you love has been injured due to an accident in the workplace, schedule an appointment with an experienced workplace injury lawyer as soon as possible. A skilled attorney can determine the statute of limitations in your case and answer any questions you may have about workplace injury lawsuits.

Share |

Keyword Tags: workers compensation, construction accidents

Still Have a Question? Ask a Lawyer in Your Area